 Off-Topic / Fun / 4062
Re: Padding materials (was Re: FS: 8880 Super Car, $135 shipped in the US
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:21:44 GMT

Troy Cefaratti wrote:

Of course, your larger papers would have this equipment.  :)   My experience
is with small weekly newspapers though, which tend to get printed on
whatever press will take them!  ;)

True... My knowledge is definitely limited to large newspapers (Boston
Globe which I toured, and the Washington Post and the Chicago Tribune
which were the main papers my sister was involved in).

I must say though, it is sometimes interesting seeing how broad some
companies product lines are. She was working for FMC at the time. FMC
used to stand for something like Food Machinery Corporation - they made
something like 70-90% of the baby food processing equipment. They also
make/made railroad cars (Railbox (TM) for one, also a tank car I think),
tanks (M113 APC and Bradley [I'm bummed that she never got me a nice
Bradley jacket like she had]), and cranes (I think they've now sold
those, they were made by Linkbelt, which was the same group which did
the paper handling equipment - I still very quickly notice Linkbelt
cranes when I pass them).

Frank

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Troy Cefaratti wrote in message ...
They WILL have them, because it's cheaper for them to waste the end of • the
roll then to have to stop and start the press in the middle of a run to
change the roll (as this would cause them to waste paper on ALL the rolls
since it takes a while to get the presses up to speed and putting out • clean
copies).

Although many newspapers glue a new roll onto the old while the press is
running (I think it was when I toured the Boston Globe, and we got a • little
extra detailed tour of the pressroom because my sister, who had worked on
some automated paper handling for newspapers, was with us, that they told • us
about the special glues they had to come up with to dry fast enough to • take
the force applied by the press in pulling the paper). Sometimes you get • the
paper which was printed on the seam, though those are generally supposed • to
be discarded. The presses usually have a spindle with 3 rolls of paper (in
use, on deck, being changed [obviously not the correct technical terms]).

At our newspaper, you can get shredded newspaper (I think they sell it).
They sell a lot of it for mulch and lining animal stalls (they changed to • an
organic ink within the past 10 years to make this type of use safer). I • once
picked up a van load of paper for a friend, and it was almost a year • before
I stopped finding strips of paper in the van.

Frank

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com