 Marketplace / Shipping / 129
Re: Padding materials (was Re: FS: 8880 Super Car, $135 shipped in the US
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:49:42 GMT

Of course, your larger papers would have this equipment.  :)   My experience
is with small weekly newspapers though, which tend to get printed on
whatever press will take them!  ;)

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Troy Cefaratti wrote in message ...
They WILL have them, because it's cheaper for them to waste the end of • the
roll then to have to stop and start the press in the middle of a run to
change the roll (as this would cause them to waste paper on ALL the rolls
since it takes a while to get the presses up to speed and putting out • clean
copies).

Although many newspapers glue a new roll onto the old while the press is
running (I think it was when I toured the Boston Globe, and we got a • little
extra detailed tour of the pressroom because my sister, who had worked on
some automated paper handling for newspapers, was with us, that they told • us
about the special glues they had to come up with to dry fast enough to • take
the force applied by the press in pulling the paper). Sometimes you get • the
paper which was printed on the seam, though those are generally supposed • to
be discarded. The presses usually have a spindle with 3 rolls of paper (in
use, on deck, being changed [obviously not the correct technical terms]).

At our newspaper, you can get shredded newspaper (I think they sell it).
They sell a lot of it for mulch and lining animal stalls (they changed to • an
organic ink within the past 10 years to make this type of use safer). I • once
picked up a van load of paper for a friend, and it was almost a year • before
I stopped finding strips of paper in the van.

Frank