 Marketplace / Shipping / 121
Re: FS: 8880 Super Car, $135 shipped in the US
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 05:49:38 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 22:01:28 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:

You CAN get Delivery Conf on first class, but not for just 35 cents
extra. You'll pay a fair bit.

I have switched completely to using Delivery Conf, it's worth the peace
of mind on my end.

Has anyone been using any of the "print your own stamps on your printer"
services? I just bought a scale and I am now thinking that I can reduce
my time at the post office if I can go to metered mail, but I don't want
to pay pitney bowes prices.

FUT .shipping

I'm in the process of setting up to use eStamp.com's service.  I ordered
the free package from them (a promotion through eBay), installed it, bought
some postage, and sent them a letter for verification.  They are required
to verify that your printer can print postage correctly before you can
use it.

Some things to point out:

eStamp uses an "electronic vault", which is a small device attached to the
printer port.  This allows you to print postage while offline.

eStamp charges a 10% premium on postage, min. $4.99, max. $24.99, but
the most you can keep in the vault is $500.  So if you always bought
$500 at a time, you'd only pay a 5% premium.  I bought $50 initially
just to avoid paying more than 10% premium.

You have to have a verifiable address.  There is a CD which the program
uses to verify your shipping address.  If it can't verify the address
you have to call tech support to see if they can do a workaround.

You can't use it to "pay the bills", or any other place where you'd normally
put a stamp on a pre-printed envelope, unless you want to print your
own envelope.

I'm still debating how much time it will save me over my current method,
which is to buy a variety of postage to keep on hand and buy more when
I drop off packages at the postoffice.  I currently keep on hand a
variety of denominations including:

$3.20  PM 1lb
$0.55  2 ounce FC, or 2 of these for extra lb on PM
$0.33  1 ounce FC
$0.22  Extra ounce FC, or 2 for 1oz FC oversize

$0.45,$0.40 Used for Insurance under $50
$0.48  1oz Canada rate

Printing a label with address, return address and postage will save some
steps, but cost a bit more.  Regardless, I'll find out soon as I've got 20
auctions I'm in the process of mailing, and 15 more running now, and more
on the way.  We just bought a house and I'm having to start liquidating
all this LEGO I have been stockpiling.

Rob

|  Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com             |
http://www.farver.com/lego/              |