 Off-Topic / Fun / 1518
Re: Original purpose of .off-topic.fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 04:38:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Mike Stanley writes:
The thing that bothers me most about the constant punning in .fun is
that it's not obvious that it is going on until I've wasted my time by
beginning to read a thread.  A thread that looks like it is about
t-shirts, plates, K-mart sales, what have you, turns out to really be
about puns, 12 or 15 messages of nothing but puns.

Right now, if people want to skip geeky stuff, it's pretty easy to do
by skipping threads like "Linux works?"  "My new P2-400", etc.

But doesn't that make geeky posts easier to identify? Yet I guess the problem
is that if a geeky post morphs into a punfest, that makes it hard to identify.

Maybe it's better netiquette (that I need to practice) to change the subject
to be a better reflector of content? Note that often people change a subject
line to "foo-foo (was Re: glorp)".

How much extra work is it to change a subject line vs. a followup-to? In the
event that .off-topic.pun is not formed, I think this might be a good idea.

LMKWYT

-Tom McD.
when reply, please glorp the spamcake.