 Off-Topic / Fun / 1470
Re: Lar's hoppers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:50:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, johnneal@uswest.net (John Neal) writes:
I think sequestering the puns off into their own group where they can't
torture anyone such as Mike is a mistake.  Therein lies their beauty,
interspersed between the normal day-to-day blather, like a ray of light,
shimmering down on an otherwise humorless world....

That's one wayya lookin' at it.  Another way is the marvelous mischievousity
(is that word?) that a dedicated .pun group affords.  I imagine it as a
prankish sort of group -- in the same spirit of marking up movie posters
with moustaches or crossing out selected words in a schoolbook to create
alternate sentences.  The beauty of it lies in the way threads migrate among
groups and the way followups work:  when punning on someone via a follow-up
message, you can:

- Change the ng line to simply lugnet.off-topic.pun, leaving the original
  poster completely in the unknown about the pun (unless s/he reads the
  .pun group)

- Add lugnet.off-topic.pun to the ng list (and set followups to the .pun
  group), thereby visibly crossposting the pun and not having to resort to
  drawing attention to it with "ha ha" or anything like that

- Or, to be really subtle, just post the followup-pun to the same group that
  the original message was in, and let someone else post a "har, har"
  follow-up to that into the .pun group for all to see.

All three of those have their uses.  :)

Besides, waddya
gonna do if one appears in an NG other than .puns? <cue music>  "When a
bad pun lands, in your favorite group, who ya gonna call? PUNBUSTERS!
... ;-)

LOL!

--Todd