 Administrative / General / 1499
Re: .off-topic groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:45:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ed Jones writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Todd Lehman writes:

I suppose I'd be pretty content with anything ranking at a 3 or higher.
What d'y'all think?

I don't think we need a pun group.  I don't think, but I could be wrong,
that the original requestors were serious.  Puns are going to occur all over
the groups anyway.  You'd be forced (by some disgruntled posters) to "police"
puns in other groups.  Because a pun was contained in a post in lugnet.build,
would it have to be cross-posted to off-topic.puns?  If it wasn't, would you
want to spend the time to "police" such things?

From my observations (of course you would have the definitive observation)
most of the posts that degenerated in punfests in other groups, switched to
off-topic-fun.

However, to your dissertation (that I snipped), I'd agree with:

off-topic.geek - computers, programming, font discussions, etc. needs its own
group - especially with the number of programmers, web designers, etc. on
LUGNET (not to mention that it bores us non-geeks to tears :') (my other half
is a geek).

off-topic.quotes - in fact I saw an incredible T-shirt today - "Hang out with
Jesus, he hung out for you" (several ways to look at this - bad taste,
hysterical, really week religious advertising, etc.)

I'd also like to see "off-topic.sports" (but I guess as it wasn't even a
consideration in the original lists, it a mute point).

I definitely would not want to see religious or political debates (ACH!!!).

Anyway, you asked, my 2 cents.

Meant to add:

off-topic.nlso - a place to kvetch about the other half :')