 Off-Topic / Fun / 1523
Re: Original purpose of .off-topic.fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 23:39:44 GMT

Tom McDonald <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
Right now, if people want to skip geeky stuff, it's pretty easy to do
by skipping threads like "Linux works?"  "My new P2-400", etc.

But doesn't that make geeky posts easier to identify? Yet I guess the problem
is that if a geeky post morphs into a punfest, that makes it hard to identify.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.  Geek posts usually are easy to
identify.  Mostly pun-filled threads, though, seem to be moved over
from other groups.

My point is that if some people think there is enough traffic to
warrant .geek (not sure if there is or not) then surely, there is
enough to warrant .pun.  Especially since most of the punsters seem to
think, "well, this is a thread on .build, .cad, (or whatever) and a
few people have made puns in it, let's move it to .fun."

If .fun has become the default group for moving puns or starting them,
why not .pun?

Maybe it's better netiquette (that I need to practice) to change the subject
to be a better reflector of content? Note that often people change a subject
line to "foo-foo (was Re: glorp)".

Changing them immediately to [PUN] was ... might help.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide