 Off-Topic / Fun / 1517
Re: Original purpose of .off-topic.fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 04:22:31 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
But as the .off-topic.fun group tilts more toward the silly direction, it's
certain to bum out old-timers who remember when it happened to be used
primarily for geeking -- for example:

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.fun:43
  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.fun:70
  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.fun:38
  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.fun:100

This is why we need the .off-topic.geek group.

No?

Unless you want 3 dozen .off-topic groups for each type of off-topic
conversations, it seems a little silly to split them up like that.

I'd say off-topic.fun could be a catch-all until enough traffic in a
specific kind of subject warrants a subgroup.  .geek might be called
for at some point.  .sports might also.  It would seem that .puns IS
called for.

I'd like to see how many messages that contain absolutely nothing of
value other than having a pun in them that is a response to another
pun have been posted versus the number of geek-related posts.  I'd be
willing to bet money the puns outnumber the geeks.

If that's true, why not .pun ?

The thing that bothers me most about the constant punning in .fun is
that it's not obvious that it is going on until I've wasted my time by
beginning to read a thread.  A thread that looks like it is about
t-shirts, plates, K-mart sales, what have you, turns out to really be
about puns, 12 or 15 messages of nothing but puns.

Right now, if people want to skip geeky stuff, it's pretty easy to do
by skipping threads like "Linux works?"  "My new P2-400", etc.

It just seems kinda silly to be thinking of creating a group just for
one small fraction of .fun's traffic when another type probably
outnumbers it 2-5 to 1 over all, and more like 10 to 1 over the last
few weeks.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide