 Off-Topic / Fun / 1516
1515  |  1517
Subject:
Original purpose of .off-topic.fun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 22:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, johnneal@uswest.net (John Neal) writes:
Hey Mike-

If my posting offends you, well EXCUUUUSE ME!  Sorry, I couldn't resist:-).
But seriously,  I'm just having fun, which is for what I thought this group
was intended.

Well, sort of yes and sort of no.  Just as .off-topic.debate wasn't created
just for the sake of having debates, .off-topic.fun wasn't created just for
the sake of having fun.  Rather, .debate was created for having debates
about stuff and .fun was created for talking about "fun stuff" -- like which
Linux box to buy, or cereals to mix together, or what makes a good April
Fool's prank on your younger brother.

But IMO it's perfectly OK to use the .fun group just for having plain silly
bandwidth-wasting fun, even if it doesn't mean talking about "fun stuff"
-- so long as it doesn't get too carried away and become about as fun to
read as .off-topic.test.

But as the .off-topic.fun group tilts more toward the silly direction, it's
certain to bum out old-timers who remember when it happened to be used
primarily for geeking -- for example:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.fun:43
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.fun:70
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.fun:38
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.off-topic.fun:100

This is why we need the .off-topic.geek group.

--Todd

Sounds like people's idea of fun is pretty diverse (duh), so
rather than folks having hard feelings, I would be in favor of some sort of
change where geeks can talk shop, etc and humorists (challenged and not) can
blather on without fear of alienating folks such as Mike and Jesse.  How
about .hahafunny, and .weirdfunny [1]?  *And* .spam for Tommie Mac;-)

[1] Geek humor;-)