 Administrative / General / 1506
Re: .off-topic groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 01:43:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, edboxer@aol.com (Ed Jones) writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Todd Lehman writes:
I suppose I'd be pretty content with anything ranking at a 3 or higher.
What d'y'all think?

I don't think we need a pun group.

I don't think we need it, either.  Not by a longshot.  But it could still be
lot of fun.  We can even print it out on rolls of toilet paper and send it
to Mike every couple of weeks.

Hmmm, does a toilet paper printer jam require the use of a plunger?  :')

The idea (as I see it) behind a .off-topic.pun group isn't so much to funnel
away or divert puns from other groups, but to give a place for spurious and
devilishly silly you-have-been-punned posts.

the only danger I can see is unwanted puns turning into flame wars.

off-topic.quotes - in fact I saw an incredible T-shirt today - "Hang out
with Jesus, he hung out for you" (several ways to look at this - bad
taste, hysterical, really week religious advertising, etc.)

Do you really mean .off-topic.quotes or did you mean .off-topic.qotd?
Because they have different connotations:  Something called .quotes invites
all sorts of quotes -- from famous writers, poets, politicians, actors, Bill
Gateses, etc. -- while .qotd is specially for highlighting things that have
appeared only within this ng system.  Both are useful/fun, but there are
already Usenet groups for regular quotes that are probably much better
suited to the task, plus I don't want to invite (via the friendly name)
quote lists obtained from outside sources (so, copyright issues, etc.).

I assumed incorrectly and thought it would invite all sorts of quotes.  I cna
live with it either way.

I'd also like to see "off-topic.sports" (but I guess as it wasn't even a
consideration in the original lists, it a mute point).

Oh heck, no, that doesn't have to be moot.  It just has never come up
before.  Are there people here who are into sports?  Would it degenerate
into Basketball vs. Baseball vs. Football debates or "you say football, I
say soccer" debates?

I think one group would cover it - most sports are seasonal.  Of course there
would be the inevitable overlapping of basketball/baseball, baseball/football,
etc.  But one group could certainly handle it.