 Off-Topic / Fun / 10248
Re: Trademarks and misspellings... oh my! (WAS:Re: Where did the lego's go?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 08:50:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Gregory writes:
   I've actually made up phonetic alphabets and stuff like that.  You, of
course, need more than the traditional 24 letters in English to do that.  I
think that changing alphabets in English would cause enough problems with just
keyboards alone, that it's not really worth it at this point; kind of like the
Metric system (which, as a scientist, I love).
Z Drem Vil Finali Kum Tru!
Actually, it has been more or less officially done. When Norway became an
independent country, they tried to rid the Norwegian language of the
influence from the two former mothercountries, Denmark and Sweden. This
resulted in the constructed language "nynorsk" (new Norwegian), which was
partly very old Norwegian. In this proces many spellings were simplified.
However, to the best of my knowledge (being a Dane, not a Norwegian),
nynorsk never really cought on in the public.

Arne, Copenhagen