 Off-Topic / Fun / 10247
Re: Trademarks and misspellings... oh my! (WAS:Re: Where did the lego's go?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:01:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Gregory writes:
   DUDE!  I totally agree with you on the whole phonetic-spelling-is-better
thing.  I know that English has the most horrific spelling of any language on
the planet,

I don't know that I'd call it horrific, but it's certainly in a class of its
own.  I have found that by trying to understand the etymology (1) of certain
words you can actually grow fond of the bizarre ways in which they are
spelt... or is it 'spelled'?  Actually, it's either.  Which of course is
just typical of English.  :)

but if people are writing in that language, then they should spell
the words right.  (Fate probably just doomed me to mispell all kinds of stuff
in this post.)

Not the least of which would be the word 'misspell'.  ;)

   I've actually made up phonetic alphabets and stuff like that.  You, of
course, need more than the traditional 24 letters in English to do that.

True.  Some people might even argue that you need more than 26 letters.  :)

think that changing alphabets in English would cause enough problems with just
keyboards alone,

This is perhaps one of the strongest arguments against spelling reform.
However, it doesn't diminish its value as a topic of debate.

   We are definitely not the only ones who have wished for a simplified way of
spelling in the English language.  Why just look at this article I dredged up
from 1997:

[Klever artikl chauped]

Grat store... tho hard to red ner the bautum.  ;)

Yup... we really need a few more letters to make it work.  My reformed
alphabet accomplishes the task with about 31 unique letter symbols... each
representing a single whole sound.

Lots of fun,
Allan B.

(1) Some interesting etymology links: