 General / 41519
Re: Where did the lego's go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 05:58:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler writes:

Perhaps you've seen the miles of aisles at Toys R Us chock full of Galidor
and Jack Stone merchandise, which don't vanish from the shelves even at deep
(like 80%) discount.

Nope.  My Toys R Us only has a few Galidor left and no Jack Stone.

Where do you work, which set # was it, how much were you selling it for on
clearance, and what's the minimum your company is willing to sell them for
now?  And what hardware store stocks a sufficient toy section to support a
300-bucket MegaBloks section?

    I work at a hardware store called Menard's.  They aren't all over the
country like Lowe's.  We're based in Wisconsin and don't have any stores south
of Indiana.  I think there are about 6 states with Menard's stores.  Menard's
tries to be a Lowe's/Home Depot and a Wal-Mart at the same time.  We had quite
a large toy section for the Christmas season.
    I think there are 3 or 4 buckets that we have.  At least 1 has Duplo-size
pieces.  I think the others are bulk type sets, one of which I remember has
600 pieces.  I have no idea what the set #'s for the buckets are.  The buckets
were originally $9, and they've been on clearance for $7 for at least 2 months
now.  LEGO set 4105 has 500 pieces and sells for $10.  I'm sure a 600 piece
LEGO bucket for $7 would sell pertty quick.

I love anecdotal stories like this.  Especially when they involve data
directly in contrast to my own experience.

    Sometimes different parts of the country buy different stuff for some odd
reason.  I know that when I lived in Indiana, I had a much easier time finding
certain Star Wars figures than when I lived in Oklahoma.  (I had a theory that
the "Nerd Density" was higher in Oklahoma, so toys like Star Wars figures sold
more.)
    Actually Menard's has a system where we can check the inventories of
all of the other stores.  I'll try to see how the Mega Blok buckets have sold
in other states when I'm at work on Friday.

Since it's a brand name, I would say that *you* are misspelling "Bloks"
rather than Ritvik misspelling "Blocks."

I have an inherent mistrust for people who purposely misspell small words.
(Diet Rite, Krazy Krackers, etc.)  My theory is that if they can't get the
small details right, how can they do well on the important things?  (And the
people who spell "through" as "thru"...RRRRR!  One day I'll get them all!)

    David