 Off-Topic / Fun / 10242
Re: Trademarks and misspellings... oh my! (WAS:Re: Where did the lego's go?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 05:32:56 GMT

    DUDE!  I totally agree with you on the whole phonetic-spelling-is-better
thing.  I know that English has the most horrific spelling of any language on
the planet, but if people are writing in that language, then they should spell
the words right.  (Fate probably just doomed me to mispell all kinds of stuff
in this post.)
    I've actually made up phonetic alphabets and stuff like that.  You, of
course, need more than the traditional 24 letters in English to do that.  I
think that changing alphabets in English would cause enough problems with just
keyboards alone, that it's not really worth it at this point; kind of like the
Metric system (which, as a scientist, I love).
    We are definitely not the only ones who have wished for a simplified way of
spelling in the English language.  Why just look at this article I dredged up
from 1997:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be
the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the
other possibility.  As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government
conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a
5-year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, 's' will replace the soft 'c'.  Sertainly, this will make
the sivil servants jump with joy.  The hard 'c' will be dropped in
favor of the 'k'.  This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have one
less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome
'ph' will be replased with the 'f'.  This will make
words like 'fotograf' 20% shorter!

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expected to reach
the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.  Governments will
enkorage the removal of double leters which have always ben a deterent to
akurate speling.  Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent 'e' in
the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' with 'z'
and 'w' wiz 'v'.  During ze fifz year ze unesesary 'o' kan
be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou' and similar changes vud of kurs be aplid to
ozer kombinations of leters.

After ze fifz yer ve vil hav a rali sensibl ritn styl.  Zer vil be no mor trubl
or difikultis and evriun vil find it ezi tu undrstand ech ozer.

Z Drem Vil Finali Kum Tru!