 Off-Topic / Fun / 10245
Re: Trademarks and misspellings.... oh my! (WAS:Re: Where did the lego's go?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:22:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Leonard Hoffman writes:

Like 'LEGO'?  ;)

Is it misspelled or just invented?  Either way, it's not a word that's
likely to be recognized by many scholars as being spelled correctly.

DUDE! Do your lego research!  'LEGO' was originally derived by Ole Kirk
Christianson as a contraction of the Danish phrase 'leg godt,' meaning,
"play well."  However, 'lego' is also latin for 'to put together.'

All true.  And good to point out.

I guess my point was to illustrate that the LEGO company name is one of
those words you won't find in a standard English dictionary... for the
reason that it's an obscure or otherwise unique word that could be
trademarked as a company name.

My point on the word still stands though.  No matter how you look at it,
it's not a "real" word.  In Danish it's a contraction of two real words.  In
Latin it's.... well, who uses Latin anymore anyway.  ;)

So the fact that it's not a word or name in common usage in the language
makes it really no different than the name "Mega Bloks", in that it's able
to be trademarked as a company name.

<snip>
That's why the LEGO company isn't called 'The Plastic Brick' company.  :)

Actually, lego was originally a wooden toy company in Denmark.  Somewhere
along the way someone bought a plastic injection machine and they haven't
been the same since...

And they were the first company in Denmark to have such a machine.  See...
my LEGO history isn't that bad after all.  :)

and somehow i think you've missed the humorous/ironic undertones to the
thread. ;o)

Guess I must have.  Since there wern't any smilies in the two messages by
the two Daves (to which I was replying) I took it to mean that the
conversation was meant to be taken at face value.  My reply, on the other
hand, contained 4 smilies... to indicates it was not meant to be taken too
seriously.  :)

As well, I directed follow-ups to my reply to off-topic.fun.  To further
drive home the point that I wasn't trying to be heavy-handed or "serious" in
my reply.  So maybe some of my humorous undertones were overlooked as well.  :)

Best regards,
Allan B.