 General / 41296
Re: Where did the lego's go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:36:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.general, Jason Haskamp writes:

<snip>

This may be a regional thing.  I've noticed that in my area (Edmonton, AB)
that the lower end shops (Zellers & Walmart) are tending to have less Lego
and more Megabloks.

I find the Wal-Marts in my area (London --> Kitchener ON) to be extremely
hit and miss.  They are best stocked just before Christmas, but otherwise,
it's often not worth even stopping in to see what's there.

Zellers gives them about equal billing, Walmart is all
over the map.  The one nearest me has diddly squat of either, others I have
access to tend to have more Lego than Megabloks, but the actual volumes vary
wildly.  (~1 shelfspace for both to 1/2 an aisle of each).

Zellers stores, on the other hand, have shown a dramatic decrease in this
area.  In fact, I almost started a very similar thread... based on that
fact.  Megablocks have been given more shelf space in more than one Zellers
store which I visit.  The store which I visit most often is one of the worst
of all.  Despite the fact that it is the primary LEGO outlet for a city of
almost 30,000 people, it carries less than 1/2 a row of LEGO, compared with
3/4 to a full row of Megablocks.  The numbers vary somewhat due to spotty
ordering and even worse upkeep in the section.  Finding a bucket or tub of
assorted bricks in my Zellers is like finding a Yanni fan at an Ozzy
concert.  You might see one now and then, but they're likely to be eaten
alive by the crowd.  :)

To me this is one again (bare with me those who have heard this before) a
case of lost dollars.  Lost dollars for Zellers.  Lost sales for LEGO.  And
a lost generation of young LEGO fans who don't see the product on the
shelves that we did as kids.  I won't worry anymore though.  I'm sure the
folks at LEGO and Zellers know exactly what they're doing.  That would
explain all the extra stock in the LEGO warehouses and the layoffs this
year.  Clearly not related to people not wanting to buy product which isn't
in the stores they shop in every week.  Clearly.

Here's the way I look at it.... my Zellers store happens to be right next to
the grocery store I visit once or twice a week.  Since I'm already there, I
often go into the Zellers store.  I know there won't be any selection of
LEGO, but I'm a glutton for punishment, what can I say.  Oddly, even though
I'm on the web daily, I rarely go to the LEGO.com website.  I might stop in
there once a month.... or less.  So... lots of LEGO on a website I don't
like to visit... and hardly any LEGO in a store which I frequent often.  Am
I the only LEGO shopper with a routine like this?  Am I the only one in the
world who still wants to buy LEGO in a brick and mortar store?  Apparently so.

Regards,
Allan B.
(returning to practicing my deep breathing exercises - "they're only
bricks... no one cares if we buy them or not... they're only bricks....")