 Off-Topic / Debate / 5395
Re: A simple answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 00:42:03 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons writes:
I think that TLG will avoid dealing with this touchy issue (as perfectly
demonstrated by the huge threads this topic always generates) by simply not
making the minifigs for these characters.  Whether they made a Lando 'fig
with a yellow or brown head, I'm sure TLG would be deluged with questions
(and possibly lawsuits from special interest groups) about the
representation of other ethnicities in their product.

IANAA (I am not an American), but would a special interest group really
*sue* Lego over a portrayal of ethnicity?

Incidentally, I think Lego _should_ be challenged over it's attitudes to
race and gender. As was pointed out earlier, there seems to be a wide
range of attitudes in the company's products, from the "Small, Small
World" Duplo sets, to the "I hope I'll Marry a Prince who's Blonde like
Me" Belville sets.

-- (another) dave