 Off-Topic / Debate / 27229
Re: Life size guns and assault rifles on Brickshellf-- opinions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:01:08 GMT

Well, with a pair of nunchuks the worst case scenario is likely a bloody
nose (perhaps not the wielder's) or a VERY painful groin (more likely the
wielder's!).  :-D

I do not now, nor would I ever advocate censoring anybody's MOC's, but I
would support a plan to attempt to develop some guidelines on how certain
MOC's should be presented (on BrickShelf only).  More specifically, if the
MOC's involve full-scale, very accurate replicas of modern projectile
weapons (of which the real thing is capable of causing multiple deaths very
quickly in uneducated hands), I think it's reasonable to assume that someone
(most likely a rightfully concerned parent) would not want their child to be
able to easily access pictures of said MOC's because the child might be
inspired to build one themselves and then start running around the house
"shooting" the car or the dog or their little sister.   Parents have to
contend with enough of this stuff already in the aisles of Toys R Us, where
there are toy guns galore.

Everybody's got a different scale to measure by, and there's an awful lot of
gray area to wade around in.  No idea what the solution is or if there's
even a problem at all, but it's certainly something that may need to be
considered for the future (especially if Lugnet receives some unhappy
e-mails!).

Dave S.

"Ross Crawford" <ross.{mylastname}@gmail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Simmons wrote:
Hey James,

I believe OnDrew's concern, as stated in his post, was specifically with
full-scale and very accurate replicas of real pistols and/or assault
rifles,
not historical vehicles.  I'd be willing to be that the odds of a child
finding a German WWII halftrack in his daddy's bedroom closet are pretty
miniscule.

That's very interesting. I wonder then, what are your thoughts on a MOC
such as
this http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/?n=2952 being posted here?

ROSCO