 Off-Topic / Debate / 27193
27192  |  27194
Subject:
One important addendum . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:55:52 GMT

I thought I should say that I don't advocate censoring anyone's MOC
submissions.  However, I think we may need to consider that a significant
number of contributors to Brickshelf are adults who create works that some
would say should only be viewed by adults.  Given my own limited experience
just with full-scale and fairly accurate handguns, I must say that I can
understand the desire or inclination to keep such MOC's from being seen by
children who've yet to fully understand the extremely dangerous destructive
potential of the real thing.

Now I don't begin to pretend to have any idea how to apply such a principle,
I'm happy and relieved to leave that particular hornet's nest for someone
else to deal with.  However, I will offer an idea or two (get your matches
and gasoline cans ready!):

1.  A soft approach:  create a section on Brickshelf that specifically warns
each viewer that the images within may deal with content considered by some
to be "adult" in nature.

2.  A hard approach:  require age verification to view said material.

Of course, the real problem is not how to advise or restrict the person's
ability to browse said material, it is who determines what material will
fall into this "adult" category (and how shall they be chosen?) and what
material will be deemed "adult" (and who will decide that?).

Like I said, a real hornet's nest.  Makes me glad I have my own website!

Dave S.