 Off-Topic / Debate / 27194
Re: Life size guns and assault rifles on Brickshellf-- opinions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:54:28 GMT

Hey James,

I believe OnDrew's concern, as stated in his post, was specifically with
full-scale and very accurate replicas of real pistols and/or assault rifles,
not historical vehicles.  I'd be willing to be that the odds of a child
finding a German WWII halftrack in his daddy's bedroom closet are pretty
miniscule.

As for a loaded .38, who doesn't know how to pull the trigger?  Not trying
be cheeky here, I just there's a pretty big difference between halftracks
and handguns when considering the odds of what a child will encounter in
his/her daily environment.

Dave S.

"James J. Trobaugh" <james@ngltc.org> wrote in message
While I understand your concern Ondrew, but I have to ask where do you
draw the
line? What about other violent items made from LEGO, what about MOCs of
military
stuff?

Would you suggest that MOCs like this:

be limited as well?

I don't have the answer but I think if a policy like this was impossed
then we
will quickly find ourselves going down a slipperly slope.

jt

In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
Hey all,

I've noticed lately that there has been a serge in the amount of MOC's
built
on the theme of guns and assault rifles. Now I really don't want to cause
fuss considering there are weapons throughout the Lego line but for some
reason life size renditions seem a little different. Personally in my
opinion
they should be posted elsewhere since the MOC's don't really stick to the
ideals that Lego stands for. I would like to compare the life size
weapons to
the model of Auschwitz. The first thing that comes to mind when I see the
latest full-scale legoized weapon is what they represent, hate,
destruction
and death. Now I don't want to say that I'm against guns or the right to
build Lego versions of them but I would personally like to see them
posted on
maj.com with a disclaimer rather than Brickshelf where tons of kids are
going
to see them.

In short I would rather see kids enjoying Lego rather than being shot by
cop mistaking a MOC for the real thing.

here's what i'm talking about:

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Viet-Kong/UZI-M11/thumb/uzi_ingramm.jpg_thumb.jpg>>
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Viet-Kong>

What's your opinion?

Ondrew

P.s. I have set follow-ups to "lugnet.off-topic.debate" since I
unfortunately
feel this will probably be a heated thread. My apologies in advance.