 Off-Topic / Debate / 27183
Re: Life size guns and assault rifles on Brickshellf-- opinions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:42:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Klint wrote:
   Hey all,

I’ve noticed lately that there has been a surge in the amount of posts built on the theme of censorship and controlling what people build. Now I really don’t want to cause a fuss considering there are censors throughout the world but for some reason censors for MOCs seems a little different. Personally in my opinion they should post elsewhere since the censors don’t really stick to the ideals that LEGO stands for. I would like to compare the censors’ posts to the censorship under Goebbels. The first thing that comes to mind when I see the latest page-long post is what they represent, arrogance, condescension and stupidity. Now I don’t want to say that I’m against stupidity or the right to display it on LUGNET but I would personally like to see it posted on maj.com with a disclaimer rather than Brickshelf where tons of kids are going to see it.

In short I would rather see kids enjoying LEGO rather than being stopped by a censor mistaking a MOC for the real thing.

Here’s what I’m talking about:

http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=39164

What’s your opinion?

I don’t follow what you are talking about. First off, are you saying I am a censor? Who else is in this group of censors? How did you determine who’s a censor and who isn’t?

Keep in mind that I have never argued that Richie shouldnt have the right to build what he likes and post it whereever he likes. My argument is that he should have acted with more sensitivity on a subject as explosive as the Nazis.

People like taking up the cause of free speech. They like fighting the oppressors. The problem is that there are NO censors here, no oppressors. You do whatever you want. And I am free to comment on it. THAT is freedom of speech.

And comparing the “censors” with censorship under Goebbles? Goebbles used a violent police state to murder and imprison those who spoke out against Hitler and the Nazis. The “censors” (in relation to the Lugnet thread) asked for Richie to use a little bit of self control. Ya, I don’t see any similiarity at all, except in the rhetorical sense of censorship = bad.

hope that makes sense...

-Lenny