 Off-Topic / Debate / 27185
Re: Life size guns and assault rifles on Brickshellf-- opinions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:38:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

   In short I would rather see kids enjoying Lego rather than being shot by a cop mistaking a MOC for the real thing.

If you think this is an issue now, wait until one of these shows up on LEGO Factory! Then we’ll have a serious problem. You can’t (by law, at least in the U.S.) buy a toy gun that looks like the real thing, for exactly the reason you cite above. But if LEGO Factory allows people to buy and build a realistic weapon, who’s at fault? LEGO? The model designer? The kid’s parents? It’s a thorny issue.

But I suppose they must already have some standards in place to prevent people from uploading models objectionable in other ways (e.g. obscene or clearly hateful). Perhaps they’ll disallow these as well.

As for BrickShelf, I don’t have any strong opinion about it — I personally tend to agree with you, but I also fear overzealous censorship. Just looking at pictures probably won’t enable most kids to build one of these, so I see it as a much weaker issue than the same models appearing on LF.

Best,
– Joe