 Off-Topic / Debate / 26372
Re: Personality test vs. Religion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 16:06:34 GMT

Regardless, the test *is* seriously impaired by its shortcomings.  I will
summarize a few of them here for clarity:

1.  The test is non-falsifiable.  This cannot be disputed, because the owners
of the test assert it outright.  Versions of the test that *are* falsifiable
are not what I'm discussing.

If someone is rated as ISFJ by the test and as ENTP independantly by 100
psychologists, I'd call that pretty falsified as far as the test procedure
itself.

The categories themselves on the other hand, that's indeed another issue, and
not falsifiable save by personal testimony.

2.  The test is not clearly correlated to what it purports to test:  At
least, the answers yielded by MBTI have not been independently verified to
correlate with the characteristics they seek to describe.  Personal
testimonial is not sufficient when discussing a purportedly scientific
instrument; if I say that a barometer is correct but provide no other
evidence, do you believe me?  Why on Earth would you?

I'd say personal testimonial exists to that conclusion. But you seem not to want
to accept that as even slight evidence. If personal testimony is insufficient as
evidence, then do you similarly dismiss the entirety of psychology/psychiatry as
bunk? Is there no such thing as "despression"? Is Prozac useless because it
similarly makes money off of people doing something that it can't prove that it
does?

3.  The test results are not reproducible.  Again, personal testimony is not
sufficient in this case.  That includes personal testimony of psychiatrists
or people who think that the test describes them well.

Ditto above.

(Wow, a reply that didn't take me a kazillion hours! Darn these habitually long
threads!)

DaveE