 Off-Topic / Debate / 26305
Re: Personality test vs. Religion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:58:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   But that right there got me curious-- if people inherently *want* a God to exist (I know I always did as a kid, and heck, it still might be really nice depending on the God),

That’s an interesting separate question: do atheists, by and large, *want* a God to exist? Do they wish God *did* exist?

I’ll put it this way-- I’d wish a “truly fair” God existed-- one that believed in relative morality, etc. Because, hey, it IS somewhat comforting to know that “everything’s gonna be ok” or whatever.

Would I want a Christian God to exist? Heavens, no. At least, not the way He’s typically portrayed, which, granted, isn’t really fair because “He” should be the only one to give us an impression of Him, not his followers. But alas, his followers and “their word” is really about all we have to go on.

   and if the above is true, should it follow that religious people are inherently more decisive than atheists?

It is an interesting question. I do know, though, that there are many religious people who believe that atheists are the ones who are stubborn in their disbelief of God, and that it is atheists who refuse to consider all the evidence. Of course, it is entirely possible that this is simply what such religious believers want to believe about atheists, and cling to it only because they refuse to consider evidence to the contrary. :)

I guess it’s true to some extent-- it’s sort of at the point now where atheism is being taught to the new generations of kids. I remember someone on Lugnet saying ‘you have to THINK to be an atheist, to be religious only requires you to follow’-- I think his point was that people are typically brought up religiously, and must “break the mold” by thinking their way through it. But really, I’d say someone who’s brought up atheistic doesn’t have to think at all to remain that way. So, yes, it’s entirely possible that there’s equally stubborn atheists, and there’s really no relation to religiousness. I dunno. Still a curious theory of mine I’m wondering about.

   But I would guess that this sort of thing is the case for human beings whether the beliefs in question are religious or not.

Oh, certainly so-- it’s the other aspects that you see all the time from people that made me make the correllation. I just don’t know if the correllation is more widespread than my limited experience.

   Anyone know any Meyers/Briggs analysis that cross references religion?

That would interesting for whatever results it suggested.

Yep-- There’s also the “Think/Feel” aspect to M/B, which I’d have to again assume lends itself to atheistic/theistic, mostly given that atheists don’t trust their “feelings” like Christians (and assumably other religious types) do. The most common reason I get for being religious is something along the lines of: “I just FEEL like I have connection to something higher”; whereas atheists would just pass off such evidence as non-evidence.

   Is it possible to see the world in shades of gray (instead of stark black and whites) and still be “decisive”? The latter doesn’t seem to rule out the former.

I would say so-- IE that someone being “decisive” (maybe that’s the wrong word for it, I dunno) would say “XXX is YYY shade of gray” and be less likely to change that grade of YYY when given new evidence, vs someone who was less decisive.

Tangent:

Younger people seem to like black/white worlds better than older people. Kids’ cartoons have very decisively “evil” or “good” characters, and when playing (with boys anyway), there’s typically this concept of “good guys vs. bad guys”. Not usually many in-betweens. Later on, however, we like the concepts of tragic heros and complex characters who have a foot on both sides of the line, and who must decide between paths.

I guess that’s generally the outlook I have on religion-- the concept that anything such as morality could possibly come down to a simple “ultimate good” vs. “ultimate evil” just seems ... well, I guess naive or unrealistic to me. A fine fantasy (which is why I must admit some internal desire for a certain kind of God to exist), but not something I could actually believe in.

DaveE