 Off-Topic / Debate / 26303
Re: Personality test vs. Religion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:26:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:

I've also noticed similar things with people who are just
"decisive". They'll form an opinion early on, then focus on facts that support
the opinion, rather than base the opinion on facts. Of course it's more like a
sliding scale than a rule-- 'the more decisive you are, the more likely you
might be to see things you *want* to see and ignore things you *don't* want to
see'. But that's more just a theory of mine at the moment than anything I know
for a fact.

This behavior has been described as "confirmation bias," though I don't know if
that's a formal designation or just what http://www.skepdic.com calls it.
Either way, it speaks of the tendency to exclude data that doesn't fit one's
preconceptions, and it's an all-too seductive intellectual trap.

But that right there got me curious-- if people inherently *want* a God to exist
(I know I always did as a kid, and heck, it still might be really nice depending
on the God), and if the above is true, should it follow that religious people
are inherently more decisive than atheists? And how about how closely you adhere
to your religion, or how ... uh... 'vehement' you get at people who present
opposing views? (I'm not sure I know how to phrase that in a PC manner at the
moment)

It could depend on how much value you place on "decisiveness for its own sake"
versus "decisiveness when the situation calls for it."  Dubya is a major
cheerleader for the former, endlessly praising himself for acting decisively
even when there's no benefit--and lots of detriment--to being unduly decisive
(ie, for making a snap decision without evaluating the facts and without
admitting the possibility of error).

I don't know that the theist/atheist metric is significant in this context.  I
judge myself to be quite decisive, but I don't judge my decisions to be absolute
or unchanging.  Other people may deem themselves decisive specifically because
their decisions are absolute and unchanging.  Such inflexibility is, in fact,
praised in the corporate world as a sign of leadership and managerial strength,
but that just shows you how masturbatory and narcissistic the corporate
management structure really is.

Anyone know any Meyers/Briggs analysis that cross references religion?

Ugh.  Can we omit this jungian divining rod from our discussions?  As a
predictive model, Meyers/Briggs enjoys about the same level of success as
palmistry or entrails-reading.

  Dave!