 Off-Topic / Debate / 26310
Re: Personality tests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:51:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
Anyone know any Meyers/Briggs analysis that cross references religion?

Ugh.  Can we omit this jungian divining rod from our discussions?  As a
predictive model, Meyers/Briggs enjoys about the same level of success as
palmistry or entrails-reading.

Interesting.

In my own experience, necessarily limited just so, I have found this quite
helpful.  Granted its possible for someone reasonably bright to answer the
questions so as to deliver whichever type they desire, but for bonafide
participants interested in what the tool can deliver, its been quite
enlightening.  Indeed, forget the questions for a tick, even being sensitive to
the 4 dimensions alone in understanding other folks' behaviour is quite handy.

To that, I have no objection.  Increased empathy and understanding are always
positive IMO, and if this test helps someone achieve these, then great!  But in
the professional world the test is actually used to evaluate people's management
potential, as well as assessing the relative "risk" that people will engage in
theft, etc., and the test has not been shown to be sufficiently accurate in this
regard to justify employment decisions based upon it.

My repeated attempts to use entrail reading have not met with nearly so much
success...

Are you using fresh entrails?  They have to be fresh.  The fresher the better.
And I don't know if marsupial entrails work, so you may have to pick carefully.

Dave!