 Off-Topic / Debate / 26379
Re: Personality test vs. Religion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:58:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
Regardless, the test *is* seriously impaired by its shortcomings.  I will
summarize a few of them here for clarity:

1.  The test is non-falsifiable.  This cannot be disputed, because the
owners of the test assert it outright.  Versions of the test that *are*
falsifiable are not what I'm discussing.

If someone is rated as ISFJ by the test and as ENTP independantly by 100
psychologists, I'd call that pretty falsified as far as the test procedure
itself.

That would be true ONLY if the test did not allow for tweaking.  Because it
allows for post hoc manipulation, your objection does not apply to this
shortcoming.

But it only allows for manipulation by the testee, which is why I changed the
example. In this case the testee might have initially TESTED as an INFP, and
changed their mind to ISFJ, only to be contradicted by the 100 psychologists.
Plus, although it doesn't explicitly forbid it, it implies (I would say allows
for) only a letter or two difference.

Besides, if 1000 people take it and 1000 people change half  or more of their
answers over a random distribution, doesn't that show that at LEAST the test
portion (if not the tweaking portion) is less useful?

If personal testimony is insufficient as evidence, then do you similarly
dismiss the entirety of psychology/psychiatry as bunk?

Not the entirety.  Psychoanalysis is bunk.  Jungian psychology is mostly
bunk. Dream analysis is bunk.  Pretty much any aspect of psychology that
depends wholly on the psychologist's subjective, non-verifiable
interpretation of testimony is bunk.

I'm not asking what you think IS bunk, but for what you think ISN'T bunk. What
DO you accept from psychology, and how does it differ? Is that which you DO
accept somehow not based on testimonial evidence, personal or otherwise?

Is there no such thing as "despression"? Is Prozac useless because it
similarly makes money off of people doing something that it can't prove that
it does?

A drug that has been clinically shown to have a direct effect on the
chemistry of the brain is fundamentally different from an abstract tool that
purports to measure abstract principles.

Ah, but can you prove that the chemical effects seen on brain chemistry relate
to happiness or releif from stress? I mean, sure the people SAY they're happier,
but can you PROVE without testimonial evidence that they actually ARE? You can
prove perhaps that Prozac does *SOMETHING* to the brain, but how can you
possibly relate it to the desired effect, when the desired effect can only be
measured by personal testimony?

Certainly depression exists in many forms,

Really? Can you prove that without using testimonial evidence? Otherwise, should
I not believe you?

DaveE