 Off-Topic / Debate / 26361
Re: Personality test vs. Religion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:27:55 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:
Actually, casual observation is in fact more useful than the test.
The test will only return results like "Bob's a great guy," "Bob's a
swell guy," "Bob's a nice guy," "Bob's a fine guy," etc.
Casual-but-honest observation, though hardly scientific, is probably
more usefully applicable to daily interaction than a test that only
returns generally positive answers.

Well, I think it's results are more useful that a lame "Bob's a great guy."
In some ways, I wonder if the greatest value isn't in the actual results,
but in understanding what the different categories are supposed to be and
that people really do think and work differently. As a result of what I have
learned in workshops and such, I understand my own needs a bit better, and
understand that other people don't work the same way.

Well, let me ask it this way.  If a friend of yours took the MBTI and
his answers revealed him to be a total jerk who really doesn't like
you, would you stop hanging out with him?  I'd hope not, because then
you'd be subordinating your own interpersonal assessment to an
arbitrary and (frankly) poorly-founded instrument.  The point here is
that the test is seriously impaired by its shortcomings, and I see
these shortcomings as fatal, while you do not.

But the test doesn't try and identify someone as a jerk so your question has
no relevance. Now if you asked if I would stop associating with someone
because the test said they were an introvert and I'm an extrovert, then the
question would be valid. But my answer would be "No." But if the test tends
to correlate to their definition of introvert/extrovert, and I understand
their definition, and I find it useful, then what's the harm?

Frank