 Off-Topic / Debate / 26300
Re: Personality test vs. Religion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:10:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   I’ve noticed that too. I’ve also noticed similar things with people who are just “decisive”. They’ll form an opinion early on, then focus on facts that support the opinion, rather than base the opinion on facts. Of course it’s more like a sliding scale than a rule-- ‘the more decisive you are, the more likely you might be to see things you *want* to see and ignore things you *don’t* want to see’.

I would say that it’s definitely a sliding scale, because we’re all guilty of that to some extent. I certainly note such tendencies in myself--I just try to keep them in check.

   But that right there got me curious-- if people inherently *want* a God to exist (I know I always did as a kid, and heck, it still might be really nice depending on the God),

That’s an interesting separate question: do atheists, by and large, *want* a God to exist? Do they wish God *did* exist?

   and if the above is true, should it follow that religious people are inherently more decisive than atheists?

It is an interesting question. I do know, though, that there are many religious people who believe that atheists are the ones who are stubborn in their disbelief of God, and that it is atheists who refuse to consider all the evidence. Of course, it is entirely possible that this is simply what such religious believers want to believe about atheists, and cling to it only because they refuse to consider evidence to the contrary. :)

   And how about how closely you adhere to your religion, or how ... uh... ‘vehement’ you get at people who present opposing views? (I’m not sure I know how to phrase that in a PC manner at the momnt)

I think that in general, the more you have riding on a certain belief being true, the greater the tendency is to view the evidnce in a skewed fashion. So those who feel they have everything riding on a certain belief being true are the most likely to only consider evidence that they think supports that belief and reject anything they see as threatening the truth of that belief.

When it comes to religion, many believers see the stakes as pretty darn high. Much of their comfort (belief that there is a benevolent being watching over them and their loved ones, belief that their life has transcendant importance, belief that their conscious existence does not end at death) is riding on their basic religious beliefs. So there is a corresponding tendency to stifle any doubts that would threaten the belief system, and where doubts persist, a tendency to seek out evidence that one’s belief system is well-founded, even if it requires a very skewed view of all the available evidence.

But I would guess that this sort of thing is the case for human beings whether the beliefs in question are religious or not. It is sort of a cliche, but consider the wife whose whole happiness and sense of self-worth comes from the belief that she has a perfect marriage. Although there may be ample evidence that her husband is cheating on her, evidence clear to friends and relatives, she will nonetheless have a great tendency to ignore or “explain away” such damning evidence and be all too quick to point to flimsy evidence to the contrary.

Is such a wife being “decisive” about her marriage?

   Anyone know any Meyers/Briggs analysis that cross references religion?

That would interesting for whatever results it suggested.

   Certainly the Bush/Kerry thing would seem to support the theory if nothing else :)

Your first paragraph certainly did seem to me like a thinly-veiled critique of Bush on Iraq.

Is it possible to see the world in shades of gray (instead of stark black and whites) and still be “decisive”? The latter doesn’t seem to rule out the former.

-Brendan