 Off-Topic / Debate / 26284
Re: The Brick Testament: Joshua and the Israelites Massacre Twenty-Nine Kingdoms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 08:41:45 GMT

Hi, Mark.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Assi wrote:
Great insight and answers to these
questions that are raised due to the Brick Testament’s missing context and
background of the events.

I also appreciate Matthew's attempts to provide a justification for the genocide
depicted in my recent illustrated stories--even if I myself am of the belief
that genocide can never be "justified".

But I'm not sure how to take your comment about "the Brick Testament’s missing
context and background".  It seems as though you are criticizing The Brick
Testament (though perhaps I read you wrong).

In defense of The Brick Testament, I did want to point out that the Bible itself
suffers from the same criticism.  That is, these genocide stories are presented
very matter-of-factly, with no "backround and context" to provide
"justifictaion" anywhere near them.  Please note that in Matthew's supplied list
of parts of the Bible that provide "backround and context", it's all pointing to
*other* books of the Bible (save for Joshua 1:1-9, which I did illustrate, and
in which Yahweh simply tells Joshua to go and take the land [i.e. commit
genocide].).

I do illustrate Yahweh promising the land to Abraham in Genesis (even if Abraham
never gets the land promised to him), and also Moses in Deuteronomy ("The
Wilderness" section of my site) speaking against intermingling with the people
the Israelites are charged with exterminating from Canaan.

What Matthew labels the "sins of the Canaanites" are part of the larger Mosaic
Law from Leviticus, which I illustrated under the section of my website called
"The Law" (though I present them as general prohibitions, not as a list of the
"sins of the Canaanites", which I think is closer to how they are presented in
the Bible).

So, anyhow, I just wanted to point out that I do about as good a job of The
Bible itself in terms of putting these genocide stories "in context".

-Brendan