 Off-Topic / Debate / 26280
Re: The Brick Testament: Joshua and the Israelites Massacre Twenty-Nine Kingdoms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 03:26:56 GMT

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 02:44:27AM +0000, Stephane Simard wrote:
If there is any jewish person in the audience, I'd like to ask this:

Not that I'm really qualified to answer, but I am jewish...

How does your religion explain or justify all the slaughter? "Thou
shalt not kill", yeah, right. O_o

I'll avoid the issue - the bible actually says "do not murder", not "do
not kill".  War isn't murder, therefor there's no problem.

Is there a specific reason why Yawheh wanted all those people dead?

Basically, for the israelites to get to the promised land, they had to
clear it of the "goyim" that were there at the time.

Had they committed a sin against him that the Bible mentions somewhere
else in the story? Or perhaps just simply occupying Israel's future
"promised land" is sin enough?

Pretty much.  Except that there's no requirement for a sin - since war
isn't murder.

Not very helpful - but I did warn ya!

--
Dan Boger