 Off-Topic / Debate / 2434
Re: Ninja vs. "real" Castle (was: Re: More news on 2000 lineup!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 23:43:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Castle is back, and it's not very nice. I was hoping for another year
of Ninja, but I'm afraid it's back to "Knight's Kingdom". A few new

This is what I responded to.  It appears that this person [p]refers
Ninja to more traditional Castle subthemes.

It would appear that way, at least partially.  He may also be comparing it
only to the mid- to late-90's Castle sets and not to the glory days mid-80's
sets...?

I still maintain the Ninja subtheme sucks.  I don't see how anyone
could prefer it to real Castle stuff.

I don't see how anyone could prefer Pepsi to Coke.  I don't see how anyone
could prefer Macs to Winblows.  I don't see how anyone could prefer B5 to
Star Trek.  What's your point?

Pepsi sucks, but that doesn't make Pepsi drinkers doofuses.  Macs suck, but
that doesn't make Mac users doofuses.  B5 sucks, but that doesn't make B5
fans doofuses.  You get my point.  :)

[...]
Did you read what he wrote?  He said "I was hoping for another year
of Ninja, but I'm afraid it's back to Knight's Kingdom."  This comes
before any description of the sets as skimpy.  I don't know about
you, but if I say, "I was hoping for _____, but I'm afraid it's back
to _____" I generally think it should be understood that I prefer
the former.  Like this:

I was hoping to spend another day sleeping until 10am, but I'm
afraid it's back to getting up at 6:30am (since it is Monday).

That's how I felt this morning.  I'm sure if I said those words
everyone would understand that I would prefer to sleep until 10am,
wouldn't you?

I wouldn't've misunderstood your 10am/6:30am example, but I read Thad's
sentence about Knight's Kingdom differently.  "Knight's Kingdom" is
capitalized, so I read it as "...but I'm afraid it's back to a non-Ninja
theme which happens to be called Knight's Kingdom."  Point taken, at any
rate.

Oh, and I don't know what you think about the word "doofus" but I
don't see it as in the same league as "moron", "idiot", or even
"cluebie".

It's funny you should mention that.  I'm not sure if I equate "doofus" with
as "moron" or "idiot," but I definitely put them in the same ballpark.
Here's a never-before-seen image called doofus.jpg which I created in
January of 1996:

   http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/noframes.html

(It's the background image there.)  When I think of the word "doofus,"
that's the image that comes into my mind.  I created that image long ago for
the <NOFRAMES> case of the Fibblesnork LEGO Guide, but never published it
because, although it's just a harmless cartoon guy, its use in the FLG like
that would have been both inappropriate and potentially offensive.

Mike, I apologize for misinterpreting what you meant by "doofus."  I thought
you meant it as highly derogatory, not playful-minded.

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.off-topic.debate]