 Off-Topic / Debate / 2433
Re: Meccano vs. Erector (WAS:Re: Top Ten Toys on A&E)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 21:53:38 GMT

   There are a bunch of Meccano sets (as well as Lego) on DYA's sale page if
your interested in seeing pics of current kits.  As with Lego (and Erector,
Airfix, etc), the older Meccano sets are a little better.
http://www.dya-shopping.com/uk/boutique/home2offre.html
--
   Have fun!
   John
Allan Bedford wrote in message <01bf2632$94077440$5e1aefd1@apotome>...

Allan, I'm not familiar with Meccano.  So if you know both Meccano and • Erector
Set, and say Meccano is better, who am I to disagree.  And the analogy • with
LEGO & MEGABLOCKS certainly brings it into perspective.

Gary, I'll try to dig up some URL's showcasing some Meccano creations.  Or
just pop the name into a search engine and see what you find.

Suffice to say that Meccano was manufactured to very a very high degree of
precision, much the way LEGO is.  The overall feel of the system was that
of being very durable, precise and well made.

I'd tell you lots more about Meccano, but you might wander off into another
hobby, and I would feel terribly responsible.  :)

If memory serves me correct, you are in the States, is that right Gary?
Meccano was certainly available and popular up here in Canada, and as
mentioned in England and Europe.  I'll try to dig up more details for
anyone interested.

Regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm