 General / 9644
Re: Top Ten Toys on A&E
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 23:39:56 GMT

other day, looking at the Meccano area.  Seems like a true-blue Meccano
collector would have a worse reaction to the new Meccano than an AFOL does to
Town Jr.

Meccano isn't really Meccano any longer - the UK company went broke(?), and
the product was sold to a *French* company.

Meccano went broke a long time ago!

As for having a reaction...I think they'd drop dead!.

I have a 6A book from my dad's stuff, as well as having read a fair number of
the meccano magazines over the years.  I have up to #3 set, and some
parts...but for me, I find Lego easier to build, and real machine work more
durable.  (it only takes me 40-50 hrs to build a decent car in lego...vs
something over 1000 on my one loco so far...)

However, the idea of meccano sets is not new by a long shot.  They certanly
were around when I was younger (1980 or so).

James