 General / 9569
Re: Top Ten Toys on A&E
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 19:08:27 GMT

Allan Bedford wrote:

Timothy Carl Buchheim wrote:

Gary Istok wrote:

I agree, how Ameri-centric of them.  I saw the show, and thought for • sure that
LEGO would be #1.  Play-doo beat out LEGO, get real.  Lincoln Logs • beat out
LEGO?  Yeah, when was the last time Lincoln Logs could build any • thing except
a Log Cabin?

hmm.. we need horizontal log bricks so we can build log cabins..
shouldn't be too hard to make, and they'd be useful for all sorts of
things (unlike lincoln logs)

i had lincoln logs and tinker toys when i was young, but you don't see
me using them now..   On the other hand, I can see myself getting out • my
erector sets to build something.

--
Tim Buchheim

Tim,  I agree.  Erector set, is definitely worth the top 10 list.  It • could be what
inspired the LEGO Technic System.

Gary Istok

Well, Gary and Tim... I gotta step in and disagree with you on something
here.  As the son of a life-long Meccano collector your comments on Erector
sets make me cringe a bit.    Bear a couple of things in mind:

1.  Meccano was very popular in Europe, having originated in England.  So I
venture to guess that if anything like that inspired the Technic system, it
was probably Meccano, and not Erector.

2.  Erector was arguably the lesser of the two systems.  Erector was to
Meccano what Megablocks are to LEGO.  Although there was nothing wrong with
Erector, it just wasn't Meccano.  As with Megablocks, the quality was
simply not the same, and many people who got hooked on Meccano simply
couldn't get past that difference.

An interesting historical note though.  For the majority of the company's
history, Meccano refused to sell bulk parts to collectors or builders.
(Although individual parts were at one time available through dealers in
retail outlets).

Finally, there is one point one which we all seem to agree.  Lincoln Logs
were fun, but really only for building log cabins.  And how many of those
do you need?

Comments and/or debate is welcome. I've cross-posted this message to
off-topic.debate.

Best regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm

Allan, I'm not familiar with Meccano.  So if you know both Meccano and Erector
Set, and say Meccano is better, who am I to disagree.  And the analogy with
LEGO & MEGABLOCKS certainly brings it into perspective.

Gary Istok