 Off-Topic / Debate / 23325
Re: This is where I actually want a gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:10:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

I understand that, but aren’t you supposed to try? I mean, you’re openly embracing your desire to torture another man. I thought (and obviously I don’t hold the same set of spiritual convictions that you do, but I thought I understood them a little better) that you were ‘supposed’ to try to think the way Jesus would. In ranting for that man’s torture, it doesn’t feel like you’re trying at all.

What I was trying to do was emphathize with the parents of this little girl. I was imagining that it happened to my little girl. So yeah, my reaction was a little personal and over the top. I don’t think Dave or I would be justified to torture and kill the SOB, but I’d have a hard time coming up with reasons for not letting her father have at him. The saddest part of all is that even if he were allowed to unleash all of his rage on the puke, it still wouldn’t ease the pain he is going to carry with him for the rest of his life, or bring his precious little girl back. So in the final analysis, the revenge of torture and execution at his hands is a hollow consulation, and all that remains is terrible grief regardless.

I fully acknowledge that only God can 1) console someone in such a situation, and 2) pronounce just punishment on the perpetrator.

In the end, I am left with a sense of moral indignation that he should be allowed to continue to exist while he never afforded the same consideration, especially to an innocent child. It’s almost too painful to think about.

JOHN