 Off-Topic / Debate / 23326
Re: This is where I actually want a gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:57:48 GMT

   See, when the emotions get involved, can one really make a rational decision where life is concerned.

But if we are not outraged when atrocities occur, we are morally doomed.

And if we stoop to the level of the atrocity committer in our meting out of justice, we are also so doomed.

   I don’t know what’s the right thing to do. If given a gun and this guy in a room, I’d kill him. But would that be Just? I dunno.

How would it be unjust? Showing him the same mercy he showed seems just to me. The injustice is that there is a family whose lives have been completely shattered forever and this puke is allowed to continue to exist.

Assuming he did it.

I grant it looks pretty certain but never can you be 100% CERTAIN. Do you know for *sure* what exactly happened, John?

   Again I admit that that would be human justice,

And therefore imperfect, and subject to error and mistakes and out and out malfeasance. There have been too many rushes to judgement, too many lynchings, too many cases where a convenient patsy was located... a drifter, a guy with a previous record, or whatever, and a confession beaten out of him so that the case can be closed all neat and tidy. Is that the case here? Probably not but do you know for certain?

Therefore I oppose the death penalty even in this case.

An aside: Another poster spoke out against vigilantism. I think that poster is confused, or distorting words to make otherwise ill supported points.

Let us not confuse vigilanties with those who participate in lynch mobs, please. The tradition of the posse, of a citizen’s *arrest* process, as an aid to law enforcement, is long and honorable, and appropriate... as long as the alleged perpetrator is then surrendered to the authorities.

It is when the citizens decide to mete out JUSTICE on their own that things go awry.

++Lar