 Off-Topic / Debate / 23317
Re: This is where I actually want a gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 06:25:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky wrote:

In fact, I find it hard to accept
that a God who loves us could possibly commit someone to the eternal
suffering that is commonly accepted as hell.

I have the same problem, but after having read _The Great Divorce_ by CS
Lewis, I have come to as close an understanding as I think I will ever come
WRT Hell. His basic premise is that {we} of our own free will choose Hell,
not God condemning us to it.  Hell (separation from God) is self-imposed for
those who refuse to confess their sin due to their own pride.  They prefer
darkness and hate the light; prefer dwelling amongst evil instead of good,
because the light of goodness shames them and reveals their sin which they
refuse to admit or accept responsibility.

[JOHN]

I lean towards the Seventh Day Adventist teachings in that death is a sleep
during which the "dead know nothing" (Eccl 9:5), which is to say that nothing of
a person survives death, that the dead simply cease to exist until they are
resurrected.

-Orion