 Off-Topic / Debate / 23351
Re: This is where I actually want a gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:17:59 GMT

Note, again, my assertion
that prisons need to be structured so that they do not cost the state • money,
but rather, that they generate income that is given to the victims or • their
families.

Restitution.  I'm all for it.  But how can you {force} a prisoner to • work?

No work, no food. His/her choice.

Hmm, I might still let them have slop...

I would offer a variety of incentives. I don't see a problem with prisoners
who are on their way to rehabilitation having access to TV and such. In
fact, if they are going to be released, they need to have sufficient
exposure to the changing culture so as to not be so out of touch that they
don't fit in, and thus be at increased risk of recidivism.

Some things are simply not knowable.  If a jury finds him guilty, I • trust he
is guilty.

People who think this way worry me very much. So does the those who think
along the lines of "Well, we don't have to worry about innocents in prison,
they probably committed other crimes also."

Better that 10 guilty go free than that one innocent be wrongly • punished.

Well I say better 1 get wrongly punished than one innocent murdered by • 10
guilty man freed.

That doesn't parse right. But if it says what I think it might say it is • just
wrong. Very wrong.

Unfortunately there are people in this world who really seem to think this
way. They seem to believe that as long as they go to church every Sunday
they could NEVER be wrongly accused.

Frank