 Off-Topic / Debate / 23324
Re: Some people call Buicks "boats"...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:47:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   Yeah; we have our Queen, you have Tom Cruise (etc). ;)

Hmmmm, I’m not sure where you are going with that analogy.

I was referring jokingly to the reverence Tom is shown.

He is? He is a popular actor, but I wouldn’t call it reverance. Hmmmm.

   Tom Cruise remains Tom Cruise whatever I do, the Queen is your Queen because you subject yourself to her.

The UK is a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarch. She’d be set aside if she tried to use what little powers she still holds. Interestingly, she could have stopped Tony invading Iraq as it was against the will of the nation….

Mostly, I’m just teasing about the Queen. :-)

   Aha! You admit that the UK does not live up to its propaganda! You should be ashamed and concede all points of debate immediately. :-)

The difference is, we are not indoctrinated at school with our version of your “land of the free” stuff; we don’t wave our flags quite as much as you do. I know what the UK is to me. I ignore the propaganda.

There is more flag-waving in this country than in Britain (see the John Neal prototype), or such is my impression. But a sizable portion ignores the propaganda same as you do. The simplified version (idealized?) is in the first few years of grade school, but the full, not so simple nor pretty versions are introduced as you go along. At least they were when I went to school.

   Even if one is black?

Yes.

I expected better from you. Read this: “Our research shows that blacks comprise 62.7 percent and whites 36.7 percent of all drug offenders admitted to state prison, even though federal surveys and other data detailed in this report show clearly that this racial disparity bears scant relation to racial differences in drug offending. There are, for example, five times more white drug users than black. Relative to population, black men are admitted to state prison on drug charges at a rate that is 13.4 times greater than that of white men. In large part because of the extraordinary racial disparities in incarceration for drug offenses, blacks are incarcerated for all offenses at 8.2 times the rate of whites. One in every 20 black men over the age of 18 in the United States is in state or federal prison, compared to one in 180 white men. ”

Drugs should be legalized and that would put an end to that. It would put the drug lords out of business, and save us billions in drug enforcement costs. A pittance could be spent on drug education and rehabilitation in comparison and we’d actually have a smaller drug problem.

I worked for a company owned by an ex-general who is black (so there’s two counts of success for him), and the chief operating officer for my division has her PhD in Physics (and is black - all the examples are of blacks). The friend who got me the interview was an executive vice-president for a company mine was working for as a contractor - his relatives work for IBM, City Council in Compton, an MBA in marketing, a labor relations lawyer, a police chief (shared my Laker’s season seat tickets with him)...I can go on and on. Anyone who wanted to make something of themselves did - the land of opportunity. Everywhere and for everbody, perfection? I could swear I already put in my qualifier on that, so I won’t be tedious and repeat it.

   Hardly perfect (look how Bush got elected). Has it’s faults. But it makes my short list of countries I’d be willing to live in. Consider that my Irish ancestors voted with their feet on what they thought of Great Britain. :-)

They must have been the Schlickbernd’s of Dublin? ;)

Dougherty, Joyce, and Leonard, actually. More towards Cork. Except the idiot Leonard side - who bailed from Ireland for Scotland first, and found that even worse. :-)

He must have been an idiot if he preferred Ireland; our whisky is far better.

No argument - Scotch is the way to go! But he didn’t drink. Anyway, I rate beer more important than whiskey, and I gotta go with Harp.

-->Bruce<--