 Off-Topic / Debate / 23290
Re: Some people call Buicks "boats"...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:38:20 GMT

and some USE them as boats.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4163593/

Anyone have any questions about my stand on whether these intrepid voyagers
should be given asylum or not?

Won't something very bad happen to them when they get home?  Doesn't Castro
frown on folks leaving his country 'illegally'?

Well, supposedly we get a promise from the government that they won't be
mistreated if they get repatriated, and supposedly we "monitor compliance" with
that.

Wanna know what I think of THAT strategy, or the promises of THAT government?
Typical craven "foggy bottom" "accomodate the regime" thinking.

If all the Cubans fled to the US, Castro would have no one to push around.  I
mean, shouldn't the US be welcoming every single Cuban with open arms--that'd
depopulate the country pretty quick.

Followed shortly by the collapse of the government, I'd bet, as there would be
no one left to follow orders.

Ahh, but it's nice to have a whipping boy so close to the coast.

Maybe so, but wouldn't it be a lot more convenient in the long term not to have
this particular thug in charge of a whole country?

Here's a case where I bet we could topple a government JUST by offering
freedom(1) to its people and not otherwise lifting one finger in anger. But
no...

1 - without too much cost to us, either, as most Cubans have relatives already
in the country, from what I hear, who would take them in and get them going.