 Off-Topic / Debate / 23296
Re: Some people call Buicks "boats"...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:20:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

If all the Cubans fled to the US, Castro would have no one to push around.  I
mean, shouldn't the US be welcoming every single Cuban with open arms--that'd
depopulate the country pretty quick.

Not so.  Many Cubans are happy with their lives in paradise.  Two hours of work
per day and 22 for free time in which to study for free for ever...doesn't sound
totally bad to me.  (Though I'd really want reliable power and a fat pipe.)

This is sarcasm, right?

"we pretend to work, and the state pretends to pay us" ... that sort of thing?
Presumably workers don't flee a workers "paradise" unless the quotation marks
are there for a reason.

(remember, I'm biased... both my parents fled workers "paradise"s because they
just couldn't stand the mismatch between propaganda and reality)

Does the propaganda live up to reality in the USA?

Scott A