 Off-Topic / Debate / 20784
Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 11:33:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:

Employment laws are one of the greatest achievements of most developed
countries.  Do you want to return to what your grandparents had to endure, or
are you not grateful that things have moved on? Our children belong in school
not sweatshops. Access to education should be based on merit; not the
endeavours [good or bad] of our ancestors.

The true irony here is the fact that labor laws have not improved working
conditions, just relocated them. The same conditions that were so horrible
in this country, now exist in under developed countries, and those
manafacturing jobs that everyone complains about are no longer available.

Welcome to Globalisation! It’s a pity that the market is governed by price &
not ethics…

Have all employment laws been failures? no, here in America we have the
richest poor in the world, and standard of living for the average person is
still really good compared to other nations.

... and millions go without healthcare. I understand that the Cuban system may
be better than that offered to some in the USA?

Finally access to education should be based on both ability to achieve and
ability to pay. High achieving poor should, and do have many avenues whereby
they have access to any university they choose.

Sure, they can spend their study time working and sleeping through important
classes.

The rich can simply "buy"
their way in.

Yeah, let the ignorant "rich" take a place that could be taken be a talented
"poor" student. That makes sense.

It's not pretty or idealistic but the universities need money
just like everyone else.

I agree. Perhaps Bush's recent tax cuts for the "rich" could have helped get
some poorer students a degree?

Push comes to shove though, ten years into your
professional career, the prestige of your university doesn't really matter much.

Yep, just like when shuttle gets into orbit; the booster phase does not matter
*then* either.

;)

Scott A