 Off-Topic / Debate / 20748
Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:01:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
Me clueless? maybe on somethings, but I don't thiink this is it, I just
disagree with you.

No, you bury your head in the sand hoping that unpleasant facts will simply
go away.

-----------------------------------

"Unprecedented verdict frees Adidas shoe worker in Indonesia"
http://www.nwlaborpress.org/9-7-01Indonesia.html

In 1993 a worker named Marsinah, in a situation very similar to Ngadinah's,
was brutally tortured, raped, and murdered for her role in a demonstration
at a factory in East Java.

Last March a top labor organizer from a Nike factory was slashed in the head
with a machete, barely escaping with his life.

-----------------------------------

You claimed that worker conditions existed as they do free of coercion --
and that's simply false. Labor movements throughout the world fail because
the people literally fear for their lives.  That's not at all the same as
people "agreeing" to exchange their labor for a certain amount of pay, they
often have no real alternative. A free market will not result from the
threat of violence.

You talk about where things are developed.  What about where those items are
manufactured?  It all adds up. One does not exist without the other. Nor
without the consumer as a third component -- Ford discovered that he could
sell more cars when his own labor force was able to purchase the cars they
were themselves manufacturing.

Question: What will happen when there is nowhere left on earth where cheap
labor conditions can be forced upon the people there?  Answer: the true
value of things will be discovered.

BTW, the energy from the sun is finite.

So Scott, I ask you: wouldn't it be better to actually have compassion than
to merely worship a compassionate god.  Your faith is an empty gesture if
you cannot yourself experience a tiny bit of empathy.

No empty gestures for me, thanks -- I'd rather commit no sins in the first
place than to be forgiven for them.

I think I finally understand the popularity of Xtianity.  See: "The
Pardoner's Tale"
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new?id=Cha2Can&images=images/modeng&data=/lv1/Archive/mideng-parsed&tag=public&part=32&division=div1

Perhaps god will forgive you.  I do not -- not your complicity, not your
willful ignorance.

-- Hop-Frog