 Off-Topic / Debate / 20781
Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 03:56:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richie Dulin writes:
How do you know his or her standard of living is still really good compared
to other nations?

I wish I could locate a cite right now, but the average american believes
wrongly that they are within the top 1-5% of the wealthy in the U.S.

I am generally not a big fan of throwing out unsubstanciated numbers to back
up a point, but I believe the last numbers I saw showed that the top 10% of
wage earners in the US started at $75,000 a year. I also saw a survey that
showed that 90% of Americans polled believed themselves to be middle class.

Costello believes wrongly that the average american is doing well
economically, but is probably ignoring all kinds of important criteria in
arriving at that conclusion.

My "average American" assertion was in reference to our standard of living.
One merely has to walk the urban streets of any country in South America,
Africa, or many of the pacific Islands to see that the level of poverty that
exists in those countries is far different than the level of poverty that
exists here. By no means am I saying that there is no suffering here, and no
wealthy there, just that the percentage of people in this country without a
roof over their heads, electricity, and running water is much higher than in
most places. I really don't think this a point of opinion or a matter for
debate, and having never set foot in the UK, Western Europe, or Australia I
cannot speak for the standard of living in those countries.

Scott C.