 Off-Topic / Debate / 20752
Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:15:43 GMT

My compassion, I like to think, comes from my Christian values, but that
sounds stupid--I'd be compassionate no matter what I believed in, 'cause
it's the right thing to do, no matter your porfessed god (or lack thereof).

Excellent!

Or is this a great tangent, like the ones I take everybody on?

Yes and no.  All debates revolve around appeals to ethos, logos, and pathos.
In English these are ethical, logical, and emotional appeals; repectively.

In mentioning Xtianity, I was remembering Costello's trust in a praying U.S.
President who seeks guidance from on high. Having recognized his ethical
concerns, I appealed to Costello on that level. The Xtian ethic I called
into question was that of compassion, as a desirable trait.

I mentioned Ford selling to his own employees as an appeal to logic that
supports capitalism in a purer, less offensive, form.

And I noted the actual harm suffered by workers abroad as an appeal to
pathos -- in the hopes that Costello had it in him to feel the suffering of
others just a little. This is actually where I began, and was linked to my
final point concerning Xtian ethics more generally.

Make sense now?

Taking potshots at Xtianity is just a fun hobby of mine -- no more or less
tedious than the missionaries that show up at my own door from time to time.

=)

-- Hop-Frog