 Off-Topic / Debate / 20766
Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 08:13:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
As for your assertion about exploitation, bear in mind there are two worlds,
the way things should be and the way things are. Let’s use Nike as an
example, as anti-capitalists everywhere seem to revel in tearing them down.
First off why does a company like Nike move it’s manufacturing out of the
US? Well that’s easy because they know that minimum wage laws cut deeply
into profit, so they look to under-developed countries like Indonesia for
inexpensive labor. They do not enter villages with guns forcing these people
to work, there is no overseer with a whip beating them if their performance
is sub par.

Wow, you really haven't a clue have you?  That's it, just keep living your
comfortable american life on the backs of the poor.  Energy is limitless...

Me clueless? maybe on somethings, but I don't thiink this is it, I just
disagree with you. The only poor I live off the backs off is my grandparents
who left their repressive country for a free nation where inspite of
difficulty they were able to earn a living, and provide for his family. His
hard manual work in a free country enabled his sons to go to college and
make a good life for themselves. So yes, my level of comfort comes precicely
because my grandfather made the neccessary sacrifices to make them possible.

Employment laws are one of the greatest achievements of most developed
countries.  Do you want to return to what your grandparents had to endure, or
are you not grateful that things have moved on? Our children belong in school
not sweatshops. Access to education should be based on merit; not the
endeavours [good or bad] of our ancestors.

It is rather ironic that this exchange has spanned May Day.

Scott A

Scott A