 Off-Topic / Debate / 20755
Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:03:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
Finally as a non religious person, what is the source of your compassion?

A firm belief in the win-win scenario. Despite my grousing, I am an optimist
and an idealist. The optimal result is achieved when everybody wins.

When I was in college and faced with the mind-numbing task of having to
instantly recall thousands of pages of literature for exams during the last
three sessions of my English Lit class, I resorted to heading a study group
even though we would be graded on a curve. So while we were placed
artificially in a circumstance of competition, I decided that I could best
succeed by ignoring the apparent rules of the competition game and use
cooperation instead. The exams took the form of "IDs" -- for those not in
the know, you have to be able to link single words or short phrases to
complete works and thereby identify the author, the title of the work, and
the year of it's publication -- not too fun! By writing the group's study
notes, nearly memorizing thousands of pages of literature, and teaching my
identification techniques to others I hoped to place myself at the top of
the curve.  My score was actually not the best in the class, but my class
made a nonsense of all previous and susequent scores on the same tests.
Basically, we broke the curve overall, even though we were still subject to
the curve for our particular class.  The end result was that I was accepted
to one of the finest English departments in the U.S.; I lost nothing by not
being "Number 1" myself.  We all excelled at something together what we
could not have learned as well each of us on our own.

Globalization hopes to make enough profit from a few off the backs of the
many. Don't be fooled by the empty rhetoric.  This is the same scheme as
used by the moneychangers in the temple.  Everybody loses when you file the
edges off the true weight of a gold coin -- that's why we place reeded edges
on coins. Of course, they aren't gold anymore...but that's another debate to
be sure.

Faith is not necessary when evidence of the obvious abounds.  I don't
believe that my winning is predicated on cheating others out of the true
value of their labor. Everybody wins when I consume goods I may need or want
by paying a price that reflects the fair value of someone's labor.

-- Hop-Frog