 Off-Topic / Debate / 20758
Re: Property Rights are the foundation of freedom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 06:07:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richie Dulin writes:

What is the difference between ensuring workers' don't die at work from an
industrial accident and ensuring that workers' don't die at work from
starvation?

Or for that matter, ensuring workers' don't die from an industrial accident
caused by overwork and fatigue and malnutrition.

Are you saying that an employer is now not only responsible for providing a
wage, and safe work environment, but now also has a responsibility to assure
that their employees are properly fed and rested? If this is the case should
a man with six children recieve a higher wage than a single man? He has a
higher need. Let's assume an employer takes on that responsibility, now are
they to test each worker to ensure that he has eaten a properly balanced
meal? I am not a big "slippery slope" doom sayer, but I can easily see it
here. Workers need to arrive at work safely, the employer should be required
to provide safe efficient transportation. Since rest is so important
employers should provide a proper mattress, and bedding. At what point does
personal responsibility begin? If working for a particular employer does not
net your family enough money to provide for your family, get a different
job, it really is that simple. I used to work for KayBee toys and loved it,
but I couldn't make enough money to provide for a wife and kids, so I left
and got a job I don't like as much, a sacrifice I willingly made for my family.

If worker's are free to go somewhere else to work, surely they must be free
to engage in whatever risks are present in a workplace?  And free to
increase their level of risk to make themselves more productive too?

I agree in that certain jobs require a higher amount of risk. Police and
firemen, roadside workers, underwater welders, javelin catchers (alright I
made that last one up) all take a great risk daily to perform their duties,
and as such should be better compensated. A factory that disregards
reasonable safety precautions for any reason should be held 100%
responsible, no matter what country it is in.

Scott