 Off-Topic / Debate / 19112
Re: Freedom from information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:13:38 GMT

Moore wins Book Of The Year
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2795349.stm

A bit of a worry really.

I agree.  How sad. Instead of choosing a book *worthy* of the award, let's
choose a book that pushes our personal agenda.

If by "personal agenda", you mean to encompass the nation...

"
Moore's triumph was boosted by a strong telephone vote from the public, who
were invited to participate in the awards for the first time this year.

Until now only those in the publishing industry have been able to vote.

"It looks like a very strong anti-war vote both from insiders in the book
business and the public," said Awards organiser Merric Davidson.

"The Keane book got a lot of public votes from the Manchester area, but
Moore's book proved nationally very popular."
"

Specifically the point that the book proved 'nationally very popular' shown
by the votes for it.

Merit really never entered into it.

Again, the *people* have spoken--the majority of the people find merit in
the book--it's democracy at it's finest (or worst, depends on which way you
want to argue it)

JOHN

Dave K